Parents warned as teen dies after drinking three high-caffeine drinks

16-year-old boy who collapsed and died at school in South Carolina last month was killed by a cardiac event brought on by drinking too much caffeine, a coroner has concluded.

In the two hours before he collapsed in class at Spring Hill High School, Davis Allen Cripe had drunk a  caffè latte, a large Diet Mountain Dew and an energy drink.

It is thought that the high quantity of caffeine, consumed in a short period of time, brought on cardiac arrhythmia, whereby abnormal electric activity which makes the heart beat fast and irregularly, potentially affecting the brain, heart and other organs.

Davis collapsed just before 2.30pm on April 26, and was pronounced dead 70 minutes later. An autopsy found that he had been healthy with  no undiagnosed heart conditions, and had no drugs or alcohol in his system.

At a press conference this week Coroner Gary Watts said: “This was not an overdose. We lost Davis from a totally legal substance.

“Our purpose here today is to let people know, especially our young kids in school, that these drinks can be dangerous, and be very careful with how you use them, and how many you drink on a daily basis.”

Davis had had an abnormal reaction to the caffeine, Watts said: “You can have five people line up and all of them do the exact same thing with him that day, drink more, and it may not have any type of effect on them at all.”

Speaking at the press conference, Davis’s father Sean Cripe said: “Like all parents, we worry about our kids as they grow up. We worry about their safety, their health, especially once they start driving.

“But it wasn’t a car crash that took his life. Instead, it was an energy drink.”

“Parents, please talk to your kids about the dangers of these energy drinks,” said Watts.

This new was originally posted on :-  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/16/parents-warned-teen-dies-drinking-three-high-caffeine-drinks/